What To Expect
We Serve With Joy
Pets are part of the family and we deeply value this beautiful bond. We are committed to providing a transparent and compassionate emergency veterinary experience. At our St. Petersburg pet emergency hospital, the comfort of your pet and the family that loves them (you) is our top priority.
We make every effort to keep you and your pet connected throughout the visit and during their hospital stay. We encourage visiting with your pet, while in our care, at any time. We are happy to give phone updates, pictures and even facetime with you and your pet while in hospital. Please, speak to your dedicated hospital team on how we can make you and your pet most comfortable during our time together.
Your ER experience
At Beacon, we are a St. Petersburg based pet emergency hospital driven to provide a compassionate and transparent emergency veterinary experience. We understand that emergencies of our pets can be unpredictable. Our experienced staff is here to guide you through the process and will help every step of the way.
Generally, the following is how you can expect your visit to go.
- Beacon of St. Petersburg is a 24 hour veterinary care hospital and we do not take appointments. To expedite your visit, utilize our “Check in Online” feature prior to your visit. Otherwise, we’ll get everything we need when you arrive.
- When you arrive at Beacon you will be greeted by an experienced staff member. Based on your pet’s condition, you will either be guided to a room or directly to our treatment area.
- A skilled veterinary nurse will tend to your pet to obtain some basic parameters (weight, pulse, overall appearance etc) and get a better idea of what brings you in.
- A doctor will be with you soon after arrival and fully assess your pet. They will perform a full physical exam and based on their findings and your pets history, come up with a detailed plan for next steps.
- If your pet requires immediate interventions, the doctor will quickly discuss their findings and may give you a verbal plan to expedite care.
- An estimate of all costs and tests recommended by our doctor will be provided and discussed. Tests are our way of offering peace of mind. Tests such as bloodwork and x-rays help us rule out scary things that may require longer amounts of hospitalization and care. The best news is that all tests are normal. This means your pet is most likely to return to normal with the medications and care provided. Our goal is to do what is best for your pet and for the family that loves them. We are happy to tailor and amend our plans with both goals in mind.
- All tests and treatments will be performed in-house with results available in 1-2 hours. We’ll do our best to give you an estimate of the time testing and treatment will take. If you would like to leave your pet with us, we’re happy to keep you updated by phone until your pet is ready to go home.
- Your doctor will go over test results, answer any questions you may have and discuss a plan moving forward.
- If our tests show your pet needs more extensive care, such as hospitalization or surgery, those options will be discussed thoroughly with you. Our pet emergency hospital in St. Petersburg is open 24 hours for veterinary care.
- If the tests come back normal or indicate your pet will likely heal from outpatient care, we will administer those treatments. We will likely give medications in hospital and to go home, with the goal of restoring your pet’s health.
- If you have any additional questions prior to leaving, please feel free to ask our doctors and nursing staff. We want you to feel comfortable and confident with the plan for your pet. You can expect records of your visit at Beacon, including all testing and treatments performed, to be emailed to you and the veterinarian you see routinely visit within 12 – 24 hours of your visit.
- If you have additional questions, please call us at any point. Our trained staff and doctors are happy to discuss your pet’s care 24/7/365.
- As a note, a lot can be going on at one time in an emergency room. If your pet’s initial assessment shows your pet is stable, there may be a small wait if a more critical pet is in need of the doctor’s immediate attention. We strive to have open lines of communication and will keep you informed at all times. We are always happy to offer drop off of your pet at our facility if there are other things you need to tend to. Our staff is always happy to find a solution that will work best for you and your pet. Please speak with our experienced staff so we may serve you best in our caring pet emergency hospital of St. Petersburg.